Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Etiquettiquette, you get?



So lasta nighta I got a thinkin' about social etiquette (or lack thereof).



My cousin has a few of the most adorable books on etiquette, and yesterday I very well could have hurled her whole collection of said etiquette books, adding a few wee A3 cookbooks in for good measure, at this douche on the bus. My mind touched on the whole 'point with your finger, don't' business, and how it's considered particularly rude. I realised then, that noone really kicks up a stink when one points the finger anymore, nor is social etiquette playing much of a part in my Generation Y life.


I got stuck in. I googled the hell out of social etiquette and came across Social Etiquette in Australia . I had a giggle (The site is pretty pub-oriented - when you get shouted, you shout, and what not. Bring your own booze to BBQ's , wine to dinner, show up empty handed and leave the party sober, all that jazz). On other sites there are the more commonly known 'No elbows on tables, the right hand shake (which I always stumble on) the introductions, and hats off inside' stuff. Is it that our 'bogan' ways, our bastard race gave the finger to some of these traits we seldom portray? I don't really see many men open doors for their lady friends, to follow them up the stairs in case they trip and fall backwards, readily waiting to catch their damsal in distress (this discludes my boyfriend, however. He is a different kettle of fish in more ways than one, but that could be because I am ridiculously clumsy and have a particularly nice behind.. JOKES).


Just imagine: lady friend approaches car, as does fellow lad, fellow lad unlocks car, enters, lady friend stands there next to car and waits for said lad to open her door, however, he's already started the car, buckled up and is plugging in his I-Pod. Notices lady friend chilling next to car, not entering. Fellow lad assumes she's on the phone and chooses his favourite Cannibal Corpse song, increases volume. Peers our the window only to see that lady friend isn't on the phone, beeps to get her attention and signals that the door is unlocked. Gentleman and a scholar.



Don't get me wrong, I acutally don't mind opening my own doors, I feel all too helpless when people do what I feel is too much for me. I just find it incredibly interesting - how times change these seemingly minor things. I would love to experience a day in the life of a 1920's lady, one day, maybe..





(This image is from http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z163/soul-sides-com/)

No comments: